Small Fetislam Fortress was built in 1524 by the Turks as a military base for further advancements up north. In translation, Fetislam means Victory of Islam. Big Fetislam Fortress was built around the Small one in late 17th, early 18th century as town of Kladovo became more and more important, especially during Austro-Turkish.
Fetislam was built on polygonal base with six tower bastions, connected by ramparts with brick walkways. Trench filled with water was dug all around fortress that used to house powder magazine, warehouses, vaults, hamam, mosque… Uncovered installations provided water supply. Northern part of Large Fortress is occupied by the small one.
The medieval position, as well as the entire region, had a turbulent history, with often changing masters who destroyed and reconstructed it, always adapting it to their military-strategic needs. Since 1818 and during the first half of the nineteenth century, it was the Turkish stronghold. The fortress was abandoned in 1867, when the Turks, together with other fortified towns, surrendered it to Serbia.