Golf tradition in Serbia started in 1936. when Golf Club Belgrade was founded under the patronage of the governor of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia at the time, Prince Paul. The first golf course was built in Belgrade, close to the present, in the resort town Košutnjak. The course had 9 holes, but after three years, the already existing holes have been added by one more. The work of this initial Golf Club Belgrade was interrupted by the outbreak of World War II. It took 67 years to continue its work, when the new Golf Club Belgrade was founded and tradition of golf in Serbia was able to continue.