Palić is located in northern Serbia, 8 km east of Subotica, 20 km from the Horgoš border crossing, 19 km from Kelebija and 170 km from Belgrade. Palić can be reached via the E75 highway and the Belgrade-Subotica railway line. Palić Jezero lake is 102 m above sea-level.
Palić was first mentioned in 1462 under the name Palij. Over time, a village, which was called Palegyhaza by the Turks in 1580, rose up. At the beginning of the 19thcentury, the waters of Palić were used to treat skin diseases and haemorrhoids. The start of tourism at Palić can be traced back to 1845, when the first spa bath – a tavern which had wooden baths in which people could bathe in heated water – was opened. In the years that followed, new baths, accommodation and summer cottages of prosperous traders and estate owners were built. Extensive building work took place in Palić from 1902 to 1912. The Vodotoranj (Water Tower), Ženski Štrand (Ladies’ Beach), Velika Terasa (Grand Terrace), Muzički Paviljon (Music Pavilion) and the Jezero hotel were built and the park was renovated in Baroque style. At that time, Palić was compared with Karlovy Vary, Wiesbaden and St Moritz. In the second half of the 20thcentury, hotel accommodation was increased and sport and recreation facilities were built.
Palić is known for its Great Park which was founded in 1842 with the planting of acacia and Canadian poplars. It is laid out in the style of an English garden, with winding paths instead of traditional straight and symmetrical paths. Next to the park’s main entrance there is the Water Tower, and in the middle there is the Grand Terrace, a multi-purpose facility originally used for entertainment and later designated as a place for sports. The Summer Theatre, the venue of the annual International Film Festival, and the Music Pavillion in which Subotica’s musicians play concerts, are also nearby.
The water of Palić Jezero lake is sulphurous, alkaline and muriatic, and has a temperature of 25°C. It contains lithium and rubidium, which aid in the treatment of rheumatic and nerve diseases. Strontium, which is an ingredient of the mineral-rich mud, helps bone fusion. Treatment at Palić involves drinking medicinal water and bathing in heated water and mud. Rheumatism, skin diseases, gynaecological diseases, nerve diseases, digestive tract diseases are all treated in Palić.
The Zoo is based around the concept of displaying animals without using traditional cages, with a system of dry and water ditches employed instead. Rich botanical and horticultural features complement the animal population. The Swan House (Kuća Labudova), which is shaped like a mediaeval castle and one of the oldest buildings in the park, is very striking.
Palić has outstanding sport and recreation facilities. The lake is an irregular oval shape and it is a 17 km walk all the way round. On the banks of the lake there is a managed bathing resort. The Ladies’ Bath is a picturesque secessionist building which points to the source of the idea for pile dwellings above water in folk architecture. Tourists can row, sail and fish on the lake, and there are hunting grounds in the surrounding area. In Palić there are football, volleyball and basketball pitches and courts, an athletics track, a children’s playground and indoor and outdoor swimming pools. The tennis courts of the Palić tennis club, which was founded way back in 1884, are particularly apealing due to clubs long tradition.
Guests at Palić have the opportunity to round off their stay by visiting Subotica, a city full of attractive architecture, Ludaš lake – a protected natural resource, Selevenjske Pustare – a natural botanical garden with a collection of varied flowers, the horse stables in Zobnatica and Kelebija, as well as, vineyards and orchards.